The little village of Schumm once had a thriving sawmill that cut and processed some of the largest trees in Ohio at the time, and possibly ever. From the early 1920s through the 1950s they shipped their high-quality lumber all over the country. They specialized in hardwood and long timber.
They weren’t kidding when they said long timber.
The sawmill at Schumm was located east of Schumm Road, on a little “street” that was parallel to and south of the railroad track. The Nickel Plate Railroad used to run through and stop at Schumm years ago.
The sawmill was owned by W.P. Robinson, Decatur, and Fred Smith, Van Wert, and was named after Robinson.
Below is a photo of the largest bur oak tree ever sawed in Ohio. At least in 1934. Written on the door of the truck: W.P. Robinson Co., Manufacturers, Hardwood Lumber & Long Timber, Schumm, Ohio, Van Wert Co.
A History of a Bur Oak Tree
A feature of outstanding interest at the recent Van Wert County Fair at Van Wert, Ohio, was a large bur oak tree butt displayed on a GMC log truck and trailer by W.P. Robinson Co., manufacturers of hardwood lumber and long timbers at Schumm, Ohio, on Nickel Plate RR. This tree, along with other smaller oak in the same woods, were bought and cut down by this company and the T.W. Hinkle of Rockford, Ohio, has 2 circular cuts from the stump and writes the following interesting history:
Eighteen years before Columbus discovered America and 46 years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, a bur oak seedling started to grow in the uncharted primeval forest now defined as Logan County, Ohio, on the old Garwood Farm, 12 miles northeast of Bellefontaine, Ohio, and now owned by T.F. Selck. In 1474 this little tree started from an acorn and for 460 years it grew, its history being plainly told by the rings in the stump of this venerable forest monarch, which was felled on 16 August 1934. This tree was seven feet in diameter at the ground, its branches towering aloft 160 feet, and at a height of 65 feet, 2 large branches were put out, having a spread of 85 feet. These branches were 36 feet long and from them spread 14 large limbs. Around this oak were 100 ridges of bark, some 3 and 4 inches thick and 13 spur roots. A check of the rings showed that the tree made the largest growth in 1600 and 1754 and apparently was struck by lightning in 1904. The body of this tree was cut into 4 logs that scaled 7,000 feet of lumber and 3,500 feet in the tops, with a total weight of over 63 tons.
This firm operates a heavy and up-to–date sawmill at Schumm, Van Wert County, Ohio, specializing in Indiana and Ohio white oak lumber and long timbers for a high class trade in many parts of the United States. 
Below is another photo of a bur oak tree that was cut and hauled by lumbermen from Schumm. This tree was felled in Auglaize County in 1930.
Carl Weinman, son of Schumm postmaster George Weinman, worked at the Schumm sawmill. He is the third from the left, standing in the photo below.
Robinson and Smith probably employed quite a few other local men. In addition to Carl Weinman, my mom recalls that Roy Painter worked there in the 1940s.
Saw-Mill at Schumm Dissolves Partnership
The firm of W.P. Robinson Co. of Schumm, a partnership of W.P Robinson of Decatur, Ind., and Fred A. Smith of Van Wert, announces a dissolution of partnership after 30 years together.
Mr. Smith has purchased Mr. Robinson’s half interest of the saw-mill and lumber business and will continue under the name “Fred A. Smith Lumber Co.” Being sole owner, Mr. Smith solicits your continued patronage and hopes to carry on the business, serving his many customers and friends in the same manner as in the past.
The mill caters to a large farm retail trade in Van Wert and adjoining Indiana and Ohio counties within 40 miles and buy timber and truck logs within a 150-mile radius and ship to many points.
J.E. Anderson will continue as office manager and accountant and Ben. H. Handwerk as mill and woods foreman, sawyer and millwright.
Fred A. Smith lived many years at Schumm. The past 42 years he and his family have resided at 729 Elsen Ave. in Van Wert. He is a member of the Ohio Forestry Ass’n, Indiana Hardwood Lumbermen’s Ass’n and National Hardwood Lumber Ass’n and has a wide acquaintance.
Mr. Robinson has operated saw-mills at Decatur and Van Buren, Ind., and has been buying timber and in the lumber business the past 55 years. He is one of the best authorities on timber quality and values along with manufacturing of hardwood lumber and long oak timbers in Indiana and Ohio. 
It is interesting to note that the Schumms were known for their woodworking and carpentry skills, so it is no surprise that a sawmill with such capabilities, and with such a good reputation, once operated in the Schumm area.
 American Lumberman, 9 October 1934.
 The Willshire Herald, Willshire, Ohio, 15 January 1953, p.1.